Photobucket        Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket

Thursday, June 12, 2014

DIY paper airplane mobile

Now that I’m trying to get back in the regular routine of blogging, I need to show off some of Miles’ room cuteness.  Since I overhauled the plan for his room about 2 months before he arrived, his mobile plans also needed to change.

I just couldn’t land on anything I loved.  I’m not a “themey” person when it comes to my kiddo’s rooms, so I had colors in mind but not a shape.  I was going to just do a cute circle one with my leftover fabrics and then I spotted this on Etsy:Cute Paper Airplane Mobile - Choice of Colors
Adorable, expect for the price tag and I wanted to add a few more pattern instead of just solid papers.  So I busted out my trusty glue gun and got to making one myself.  Here were all the supplies I used:
  • 2 wooden embroidery hoops – 8” and 10”
  • paint for the hoops
  • hot glue gun
  • about 8 different scrapbook papers in gray, yellow, and white
  • fishing line – I wish now I would have used line that was a bit thinner and more transparent, but you can’t be picky when you’re nine months pregnant and doing craft projects
  • little white hook to attach everything to the ceiling
Picture 1763Picture 1756
1. There are a few tutorials on how to make your own paper airplane mobile here and here.  Mine isn’t super detailed as I forgot to take pictures of lots of steps.
2. I only used the insides to my embroidery hoops, not the outside part that has the hardware on it.  You can discard that part (or save it for another project).  Then I started by painting my hoops with a gray spray paint I had and hated the coverage and color.  So I switched and did 2 coats using a acrylic craft paint and loved it much more.Picture 18193. Make your airplanes!  There are a million different ways to make your paper airplanes.  Look here for some good examples here.  After lots of trial runs, I decided I wanted something very simple with very few fold lines.
  • I cut my paper into 4.5” x 5” rectangles.Picture 1831
  • fold your paper in halfPicture 1832
  • open it back up and fold each top corner down and line up with the fold down the middlePicture 1834
  • fold in half againPicture 1835
  • Take each side and fold down so the top fold line, lines up with the bottom of the plane.  Does that make sense?Picture 1836
  • And that should make your simple airplane!Picture 1839Picture 1840
  • I hot glued it together in all the places it could come unfolded and while the glue was still hot, I stuck in a long piece of fishing wire to hang itPicture 1841Picture 1842Picture 1843
4. I tied 3 fishing wires evenly around each hoop (6 lines total) and tried as best I could to hang the 2 hoops so they were even with each other.  They’re actually not tied together in any way.

5. After I made lots of airplanes, I tied them loosely around the hoops to figure out how I wanted to space them, which colors I wanted where, etc.  When I was happy with the placement, I tied the fishing wire as tight as I could and added a small dot of hot glue to secure it.  Then I cut off the excess fishing wire.  (the beginning stages of mobile is hanging from the ceiling fan in this picture)Picture 18506. Lastly, William helped me measure and hang it from the ceiling just using a little white hook.IMG_9591photoIMG_9588I love how it turned out and I hope Miles enjoys this view from his bed.
blog-signature-1



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...