Photobucket        Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket

Saturday, November 13, 2010

pomegranate

I love these fruit. They of course don't fit into my weekly budget for groceries, but every once in awhile I splurge and get a couple. But I had yet to find a way to get all those berries out without swearing getting the red juice everywhere. And that stuff stains. So I was searching around online and found some written directions, of course now which I can't find. So I made a picture tutorial for those of you who love this fruit.

Step 1: Gather supplies - a large bowl of water, a knife, strainer, and your pomegranate.
Step 2: Cut off about a 1/2 inch of the top. I do all my cutting underwater. This prevents any spraying of the red juice. Then cut slits around the fruit, about an inch apart.
Step 3: Again, underwater, pull one of those sections off and using your hands, pull off the red berries. The berries sink, all the other stuff including the outside rind will float and you can just skim it off.
Your water will turn pinky/red as you go.
Step 4: Then, skim off of all big pieces, and then strain your berries.
Step 5: throw them in a fruit salad, garnish a holiday dish, make a million other recipes, or leave them in the bowl with a spoon and finish them in the same day like I do. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Another reason to LOVE your blog! My daughter Chloe loves pomegranates, but I hate preparing them. This will help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny- I've never had pomegranate before but someone at work was making one at lunch this week. She had me try it and it was a bit too bitter for my liking but I liked the "juiciness" of it. I'll have to give her this tip on how to prepare as she was trying to keep it off herself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...