Photobucket        Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

sleep training update

Just thought I'd update on how our sleep training is going. For the record, I will say that I'm more exhausted doing this than I ever was on my lack of sleep. But I know it's worth it in the end. If you ever do this, just be prepared to 1) cry yourself, 2) almost give up, 3) have a very sore back (from all the pick up/put downs as they're called), and 4) eventually fall asleep on the floor of the nursery.

I've kept explicit notes the last 4 days and plan on doing so for the next 2 weeks just so I can get a really good picture of this kid and his patterns. I made a log in excel created. (side note: why does Google docs turn everything into ugliness?) Anywhoo. Check out the binder that now holds all of these said logs:
Day #1 - Saturday
On our very first attempt at a nap on Saturday morning, I prayed and then geared up for a long haul. And it was. It took over and hour and 35+ pick up, put downs. I shhhed him and also repeated over and over "mommy loves you but it's time for you to go to sleep." His longest nap was still only 45 minutes though. Already by bedtime that night, the number of pu/pd was down to 3! He went to bed at 7:30. I tried to wake him for a dreamfeed, but couldn't get him to wake up. He woke to eat at 1am, 4:50, and then was "talking" in his crib at 6:05. I let him stay there until he got grumpy at 6:25 and then got him up for the day. Total sleep time for the day=14.4 hours.

Day #2 - Sunday
This day was kinda hit or miss with success. His second nap of the day was 45 minutes, but I went back in and did 2 pu/pd and he fell back asleep for another 45 minutes! That was his first nap of more than 40 minutes. But then I let him stay awake too long and had to do tons of pu/pd for his next nap in order for him to settle down. I was really nervous all day about taking him to small group because of all the work we had done in the 2 days. I'm realizing how many decisions parents have to make about what is best for them vs. best for baby. We decided that small group needs to be a priority for us (yeah Jesus) so we would deal with the ramifications of sleep later. I'm so glad we went (more on that in a later post). It was an awesome time and Owen took a short cap nap, but was not grouchy at all. He fell asleep on the car ride home and then after eating went back to sleep around 10ish. Total sleep time for the day=11.7. :(

Day #3 - Monday
Monday we started working on extending naps. The Baby Whisperer has 2 main solutions for doing this. Her basic premise is that our human sleep cycles are about 45 minutes. Most babies who are short nappers can't transition from the first to the second sleep cycle without waking themselves up. So, her first solution is called Hold Through the Jolts (httj). This means that I got in a few minutes before he usually wakes himself up and apply soft pressure to his arms and legs. This prevents him from jolting which is what usually wakes him up. You can release when his breathing has calmed down and for Owen, when his hands stop moving. The other strategy that we did today was called Wake to Sleep. A few minutes before he usually wakes up I go into his room and gently stir him. For us, that means rubbing his cheek. What this does is re-start his sleep cycle. I also hold with this one. If he becomes fully awake, then you have to go back to the pick up/put down which usually means another 20 minutes. Total sleep time for the day=15.9 hours!

Day #4 - Today

This morning he got up for good at 6:45 (still working on extending that to 7 or 7:30) and I watched the clock like a hawk. I'm learning that 1h15 min is the optimal time for him to be awake first thing in the morning. Then we did our wind down routine (turn lights low, 2 books, sing Jesus Loves Me, give him a kiss and lay him down. What did he do. . .rolled on his side and went to sleep. I had to do 0 (yes that's a zero) pick ups/put downs and even though I stayed in there 10 extra minutes, I didn't even need to hold his arms through any jolts. And for his second nap, after I held him through a few jolts, he slept for 1 1/2 hours and got up happy ready to take pictures with Auntie Jenna.

Thank you Jesus. I feel empowered and am so thankful that my little man is going to start getting the sleep his body needs! I know that there is a regression coming (I've been warned around day 6) but I'm ready. This is working!

3 comments:

  1. A-mazing!! This is the baby whisperer? I might have to pick that one up for next time. :) So glad it's going so well for you.

    And...love the binder! It's so Owen's mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Baby Whisperer! Although I'm loving her 3rd book (The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...