Photobucket        Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket

Monday, January 30, 2012

my first sewing projects!

Have I introduced you to my sewing machine yet?  I'm still working on a name for it.  Betsy?  Fred?  It needs a name.  Because I'm in love with it.  I've made my way through my instruction booklet.  I've practiced threading my needle, making bobbins, undoing some jams, and sewing basic stitches.  So I thought I was ready for my first project. Enter Pinterest.  I saw these adorable knit baby hats (the picture will link you to the tutorial) and thought, how perfect for my first project.  Veteran sewers who are reading this are already laughing at me.  Others don't understand.  I didn't either.
It took me all of about 5 minutes to realize that knit fabric is REALLY hard to work with.  Like jam your machine multiple times hard.  I tried different presser foots, looked at many tutorials online, and even tried using a double needle.  And then, after talking with my master seamstress of a mom, I packed that knit fabric up and stashed it in a closet for way later in my sewing career.

Enter cotton fabrics and my next attempts worked way better!  I had received a couple nursing covers for Owen and loved them and used them very hard.  I wanted to make one that was a little wider then my first one to make sure no one got a side boob shot.  And I wanted a heavier fabric than cotton to make sure it laid down nice.  I found this amazing tutorial that walked me through it step by step.  I picked out a home decorators fabric that has NO pink in it.  Aren't you proud of me?  I'm coming to the realization that my budget is not going to allow for a new diaper bag.  So, I wanted a fabric that had some green it.  I love the results.  My new nursing cover.  Sewn by me:
the boning was a little tricky to sew, but it makes the top pop out so I can look down at Ellie
I also thought it would be nice to have their diapers separated in the diaper bag and that way I can pull out Owen's little bag when he goes to the 2's class and I keep the main bag with Ellie and me.  So I made her little diaper pouch using the rest of the above fabric and then made Owen's a little more boyish.  I used this tutorial from A Lemon Squeezy Home.
I think I'm liking this whole sewing thing,.  Sorry mom that it took me 30 years. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...