Photobucket        Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Happy 1 Month!

I absolutely cannot believe that it has been one month since Owen has come into our lives. I know, I know the cliches about time going so fast. But they're TRUE! I remember the last 4 weeks of pregnancy going so slow and then I blinked and he's been here for a month already. He is by far the best thing that has ever happened to me (ok, William was pretty great too).
Measuring
He doesn't have an appointment until he's 6 weeks. I was feeling a little unsure if everything was going alright, so I took him to the lactation consultant last Monday to have him weighed. He was already up to 9lbs8oz, so I'm sure it's even more since then. He's starting to fill out in his face and his legs and arms are getting those adorable little rolls on them. As far as height, I have no idea. . .but some of his newborn and 0-3 things are definitely starting to get too tight as I snap them. I'm glad people told me to keep tags on some outfits. I'm going to have to trade them up for bigger sizes!
Milestones
I'm continually amazed at all the new things he's starting to do. Ok, they may not seem like much to the outside observer, but a first time mom goes nuts over them. He's tracking really well with his eyes. He'll move his head to follow your face or voice. He's holding his head up more and more and seems to enjoy his few minutes of daily tummy time. We've gotten about 4 smiles out of him this week. The first was at my grandparents house on Monday. They've been unrelated to eating (so not the milk drink ones) and in response to me or William looking at him. Ohh, my heart just melts. As of two days ago, he's been blowing little bubbles and starting to make just the smallest of cooing noises. And yesterday, I caught him doing this! I'm not sure if it was a fluke and he got his hand caught, but I chalked it up to reaching out and grabbing. :)
Schedule
This kid may look like his dad, but he is his mother's child. He was born on a 2 1/2-3 hour schedule and has kept it up (despite the few days of his 3 week growth spurt). He eats, is awake for about 45 min to an hour and then screams until he goes to sleep. We've gotta work on the screaming part. Haha. If we're out and about, he usually falls asleep easier. And he's great in the car!
Feeding
Another thing I thank God for daily! He latched on immediately after being born and hasn't looked back since. My milk supply seems awesome and he easily switches between the boob and the bottle with daddy! YAY! Although it does feel like you have your shirt off all day, it's been a really great bonding time. And what was taking his 15-20 minutes per side, is now only taking him about 7 and I'm not having to try to keep him awake as much. Usually around 7 minutes on the dot he yanks himself off. It's pretty crazy. While I was trying to do both sides at each feeding, he seems to be turning into a one side per feeding guy. So I just pump the other side if he's not interested to start building my stash!
Other quirks
I know most kids fall asleep in the swing and stroller. But no, not my kid. Wide awake the whole time. I guess I'm glad for the sake that he's been taking most of his naps in his crib or pack and play. I hope that will make crying it out a little easier. Speaking of that, I tried to start that this week and just couldn't do it yet. I'm going to give him another week or two since he's definitely been crying less at nap time on his own. He still has hiccups everyday!
William
William is back at work, but continues to be amazing. He comes home everyday for lunch so we get some daddy time. He picks Owen up the minute he gets home and is still the reigning diaper changer and swaddler around here.
Me
I must say that I've been absolutely blessed with no post-partum issues at all. Physically, my body is feeling pretty much back to normal, unless I overdue it one day. And emotionally, I feel great. I tell my mom a lot, I think I was kinda born for this. It has truly been the best 4 weeks of my life and I cannot wait for more!
A few more pictures (of course courtesy of Auntie Jenna):


1 comment:

  1. Quick comment on "crying it out". We never really did that with Ethan. Not that we're totally opposed or anything, but he was so little it just seemed mean to me. One thing that really helped me was reading that babies born in cultures that carry little children on them all the time never have colic problems. When Ethan was a newborn, I tried to make sure he was in arms or a sling on my back/front at least 3 hours a day, and I swear it made a huge difference. Plus, with a sling, we were close, and I could still get the dishes done. Still, all babies are different, and all babies are going to cry sometime.

    I remember seeing all the amazing things Geno and Shannon's little JoJo at 10 weeks could do when Ethan was about 6 weeks, and I was so jealous! It goes by fast. :) You guys are doing great. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...