Photobucket        Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vaccinations

I've had quite a few of you ask about my delayed vaccination plan, so I just thought I'd post it. This has been gathered from lots of web research and from Dr. Sears The Vaccine Book. Of course, it's subject to change as I continue to research and ask questions from other mommies! Note to those of you with co-pays. This will require you to go in every month as opposed to the every other month schedule set by most pediatricians. I just have to make sure I stay on top of scheduling additional appointments and be ok with the additional co-pays.

AgePlanned
birthnone - declined HepB
2 monthsDTaP*
3 monthsPc, Hib
4 monthsDTaP, Rotavirus(RV)**
5 monthsPc, Hib
6 monthsDTaP, RV
7 monthsPc, Hib
8 monthsRV
9 monthsPolio (IPV)
12 monthsMumps***, IPV
15 monthsPc, Hib
18 monthsDTaP Booster (maybe), Chickenpox****
2 yearsRubella***, IPV
3 yearsMeasles***
3 1/2 yearsHep A, Hep B (if going to preschool, if not, hold off)
4 yearsHep B, IPV
4 1/2 yearsHep B
5 yearsMMR Booster
6 yearsChickenpox
12 yearsHep B (3 doses – if not given at 3 ½)
13 yearsMeningococcal (once Meningococcal vaccine is approved for age 2, Dr. Sears will move it there and delay Hep B by 6 months)


Notes:
*DTaP - there is a little controversy over this one as the Diptheria and Tetanus aren't little kid diseases, but the Pertussis is. Unfortunately, there is no vaccine for just the Pertussis, so they have to get the whole thing. Recommended brand: Adacelc. Do Not Use: Daptacel, Infanrix, or Pediarix.

**Rotavirus – Have to start by 14w9d. Can’t be given after 8 months. Still undecided about delaying this one a bit. They say if your baby is breastfed and not at daycare, then it's not a big issue. What do they use – Rotarix (can’t be repeated if spit out) because it requires only two oral doses, compared with three for RotaTeq (can be repeated if spit out) Same questions go for the Pc vaccine – is it really necessary if no day care and breastfeeding?

***MMR - there is mixed info about whether or not you can split these up anymore.
If you can split:
Mumps – 12 mo
Rubella – 2 years
Measles – 3 years
Booster – age 5

If you can't split:
MMR – age 4 (done all at once with no other vaccines)
Booster - age 5

****Chickenpox (varicella)- I'm still not sure about the chickenpox one. I think I'd rather expose my young kid as the immunity is better from actually getting chicken pox than the vaccine. If they haven't gotten it by age 11 or 12, I'd vaccinate.

Other notes:
- Still unsure about Hep B at all and same as Pc.
- No Vaccine should contain the preservative Thimerosal. (usually in the flu vaccine)
- All shots must be separated. No combo shots. Only one shot containing Aluminum is allowed at a time.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad your dr is open to the delayed schedule! I tried to avoid the chicken pox vaccine, but found that Henry (and later Harmony) could not be admitted to preschool without it. The elementary schools require two CP vaccinations or documentation (by a doctor) of disease before admission to kindergarten--you might check to see what's required in IL. It's actually becoming hard to catch CP since so many kids are immunized (no one to get exposure from).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about current admission requirements for students in IL, but I do know Lizzy made it to age 11 without the rotavirus or CP vaccine. She did have a very mild case of CP (no fever, no itching, but she had the blisters). I'm actually kind of surprised the RV vaccine is still being used. It was new when Lizzy was a baby and I thought they stopped using it because of so many kids having problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we skipped rotavirus with auggie and haven't had any problems. I plan to do the same with eland. although I know a woman who's friend's baby got rotavirus and apparently it was pretty rough. still, we'll probably skip it. and as far as I know, mmr is no longer manufactured separately - a huge bummer in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann - thanks for the heads up about chickenpox. I need to do more research about the mandatory IL things!

    Val - I know, I'm still on the line with the RV one, but just like you, I know a gal who's baby got it and it was rough! Your right, our ped said the MMR is no longer separated. And this is the one that's controversial "linked" to autism. Are you going to do that one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. em, you're such a great mommy for doing the research and for covering this issue in prayer before making the decision about what's right for your fam. way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just another perspective from a NICU mommy...Bella contracted neonatal Hep at birth & was exposed to a confirmed case of the measles that was reported to the Board of Health 3 weeks ago. I was SO thankful she had her MMR at 12 mo. We did take her in, but her immunization safeguarded her against it! Lots of research both ways. I truly believe there is no right or wrong way! Having one that was born weighing 3 pounds, I was thankful to prevent any & everything I could as soon as possible! That was just with our circumstances though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. just noticed your question! we'll start mmr right before school starts for auggie - so when he's 3 or 4 (the later the better in my mind since you can't split it.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Emily--it's Jessica Elkow from small group FOREVER ago. Just wanted to say congrats on Owen, and thanks for sharing everything you are learning! Justin and I are getting ready to be parents too--due in March. There's so much to learn (especially about vaccines!), but blogs like yours make it easier and are such a blessing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica!! How are you my dear!? It's so wonderful to hear from you. And the biggest congratulations to you! March is a great month for a baby (the 24th is even better :) Thanks for the compliment. I figure if I'm researching, someone else may find it helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We miss you and all the Vineyard folks! Could I have your email address? Mine is jessica@elkow.com. I'd love to catch up more over email!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...