Photobucket        Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

34 weeks

How far along? 34 weeks today
Questions for already mommas: so I'm busy making my vaccination plan and wanted to see what you gals did in regards to the 2 "mandatory" things they do at birth. Those being the vitamin K shot and the antibiotic goop in the eyes. Of course, William and I are STD free, so the eye goop seems silly, but since he's getting circumsized, should we do the vitamin k shot? Or should I ask to give it orally? Or not at all? Help!
I'm feeling: stretched! 6 more weeks of growing is going to not be so fun. My tummy is really tight and it's getting harder and harder to lean forward or get comfy at all.
Stretch marks?: nope, at least that I can see
My man: has found my right rib. His kicks and stretching out are starting to even hurt a bit. He's also been getting hiccups almost everyday. Usually after I drink something sweet or caffeinated. It's a super strange feeling, let me tell ya!
Movement: Still moving a ton on the right side. Although "they" say that it should be slowing down a bit as he's starting to get a little squeezed for room in there.
Swelling: rings still fit and ankles look normal!
Food cravings: I've been loving pineapple and really wanted some spicy sausage. I tried this recipe (with a few tweaks) and really like it! - Baked Penne with Italian Sausage
Labor Signs: nope, and not sure I would know if I did :)
Belly Button in or out? in, but growing flatter by the day
Books I'm Reading: I really enjoyed Your Best Birth and would really recommend it to other pregnant folk. It definitely is a proponent of natural birth, but I didn't feel like a terrible person in thinking that I'm not opposed to having an epidural. It gave some really great overviews and both sides of some issues. It was also a very easy read and interspersed with great stories. Still working through The Vaccine Book and writing up my delayed vaccination plan. This week I also want to start the Bradley books and Lamaze. Just gotta read up on what’s out there.
What They Don't Tell You: TMI as usual. Umm, break out the breast pads. I'm leaking! I ran out in the living room after my shower to tell William that I wasn't sure I was ready for this.
Fun baby things I've received/bought: I LOVE All About Kids! I sold a few maternity things that weren’t fitting right and then turned around and bought a few pieces that were on super sale. Who in the world would pass up this Gap jacket for $2. I’m thinking paired with some cute jeans for his dedication at church.

And look at the beautiful bumper pads. Ohh I can just stare at them. Thank you mom!
the outside (orange with white polka dots)

the inside (brown with small white polka dots):

And I can stare at them from my awesome new glider! Thank you again mom and dad for helping out on this. It’s so comfy and I’m looking forward to many cherished memories of nursing, reading books, and cuddling!


And of course, some pictures from yesterday afternoon and this morning. Ever noticed how your reflection makes you look huge. Oh wait, that's just me right now.

Kinda a lame smile, but the sun was really in my eyes!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! You are getting so close! You look great.
    When Nathan was born, we opted not to do the eye goop, didn't think he needed it. You just have to fill out some forms ahead of time and just make sure you and William both remind the nurses after he is born. Well, this should be William's job, you'll probably be preoccupied. :)
    We did do the Vit. K shot though so that we wouldn't have to bring him back in after 8 days for his circumcision. It's just vitamin K, nothing scary or risky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We skipped the eye antibiotics, too. Who wants crazy stuff in their kid's eyes within an hour of birth if it's not necessary? I've heard of nurses at Provena reporting this to DCFS since you legally have to get it in the state of Illinois, but this didn't happen to us at Carle. Also, it's an educated decision, which makes sending DCFS after you a complete waste of time.. Whatev!

    We did the vitamin K shot with Auggie since we had him circ'd at the hospital. However, this is something I need to do some research on. I heard from a friend that the first ingredient in the vitamin K shot is aluminum, which is something I do NOT want overwhelming my newborn's system. Like I said, I need to do some research but am leaning towards doing vitamin K orally.

    Also, Auggie had a well-baby visit with his pediatrician today so I was able to ask something I've been wondering about regarding circumcision - timing. Auggie had it done within 24 hours of being born, and looking back, I felt like that is kind of rough on the little guy having gone through a fairly traumatic entrance into his new world so recently. I asked his doc about having our next little guy circ'd later on, and his ped was in complete support of that. He said that he felt bad when less-than-day-old newborns are circ'd since they're in a hyper-alert state for that first 24 hours. He said we could bring our little guy into their office to have it done sometime within the 2 weeks after his birth, while he is generally sleeping constantly anyway. .... That said, Auggie did fine and healed fine, but I think we may go for a different circumcision strategy second time around. It seems to make sense going with the age-old Jewish tradition of waiting 8 days, and I swear I've read somewhere that after 8 days babies have the perfect amount of blood cells or vitamin K or something.. Food for thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm soo glad you enjoyed reading "Your Best Birth!" That book made me feel so good about labor (of course labor itself was um...awful =P)
    We did both the eye goop and the vit. K shot. I dunno- I figured it didn't really hurt anything. Maybe w/ the next one we won't do the eye stuff, but Taylor wasn't affected by it so who knows? I'm not ready to think about the next one yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You dont know me but I randomly came across your blog. I am pregnant as well. I took a birthing class a few months ago and we asked the teacher about the eye goop since we felt the same way, we dont have std's why do we need this. The instructor said thats fine if we want to skip it because of that reason. However at the next class she retracted her statement, she talked to a doctor or a nurse friend and they said it protected against other things then that. I cant remember specifically what she said though (dang it!), but it was enough to change my mind - I am doing it now. I would ask your midwife the purpose of it, they will surely know! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...