Photobucket        Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket

Monday, October 8, 2012

Pinned It, Did It Monday! {Ellie edition}

pinned it Welcome to Pinned It, Did It Monday where I show you some of the things I’ve actually done from Pinterest, not just pinned to my wall.  I’m cheating a little this week and bringing you an “Ellie Edition” to share one of the things I did in her room that was from Pinterest.  I shared her flower balls a ways back, but I need to share another project I did! (check out the next post for the full tour).pin #1I looked for wall inspiration for Ellison’s room for a long time.  I liked lots of things, but couldn’t settle on how to do her name on the wall.  And then I saw this and fell in love with the idea of mixing the paper mache letter and the vinyl.  Maybe it helped that it was an Ellie too. :)
Picture I pinned:
Source: E’s Room from The Potter’s Place
My pictures (and instructions): There’s no review as the original poster just shared her final product.  But she did point me to where to get the large letter: Joann’s (online).
Here’s my finished product:IMG_7771step 1: decide on how to decorate your letter.  I wanted just the front to be decorated, so I first painted the sides with some of her leftover wall paint.  This way, it just blends right in.  I’d recommend painting a little up onto the front side.  That way you don’t have to be so careful when you’re attaching your patterned paper. step 2: This step took the longest as I wanted my pattern to match up perfectly.  So I bought tons of this paper and made the flower pattern match as best I could.  I took about 9 sheets of paper I think and lots of time.  The I traced around the E with a pencil and cut it out very carefully. Picture 262step 3: assemble your tools.  I need the paper mache letter, the cut out scrapbooking paper, Mod Podge and brush, and a sandpaper block.step 4: I applied a thin layer of mod podge in a small area and pressed down my paper as best I could to get out all of the bubbles.  Don’t worry, you WILL have bubbles no matter what.   step 5: I put a decently thick coat of Mod Podge over the top.  There will be more bubbles.  But they won’t be as bad or noticeable when it’s dry. Step 6: I took my sanding block and distressed the edges all the way around.  It made the line of where the paper meets the paper mache a little less noticeable.
Step 7: I cut out the rest of her name in brown vinyl with my Silhouette machine. 
Step 8: I made the 3D flowers. And because I'm a dork, here's a video on how to make them:
step 9: assemble everything on the wall and enjoyIMG_7772 IMG_7774 IMG_7775 IMG_7770I love it.  It’s very “me.”
blog-signature-1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...